Stone Shift Supervisor
Cement and Lime
Are you looking for an opportunity with a leading national business? If the answer is YES, Tarmac are recruiting in Tunstead and this could be the ideal role for you.
At Tarmac, our people have been shaping the world around us for more than 100 years, from the roads we drive on every day, to the buildings, airports, stadiums, offices and hospitals we live in and work in. We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards. We’re looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm and collaborative approach to join our team of over 7,000 employees across the UK. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
Joining our team as a Stone Shift Supervisor you will be entitled to a highly competitive basic salary and a great range of benefits including:
Enhanced holiday entitlement
Contributory pension scheme
Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice.
Training and development opportunities
What are we looking for?
The Shift Supervisor is a key role in the Management structure within the Stone section.
Fundamental to the position is the capability to hold Reg 8.1d (WLR) responsibility during periods where the Stone Management are not on site.
The Shift Supervisor is responsible for performance managing operational teams and ensuring shift outputs are achieved in line with the Production plan / Maintenance requirements & KPI targets are met for the Stone processing plants.
ROLE REPORTS TO Stone Production Manager
DIRECT & INDIRECT REPORTS Chemical Stone Lead Operator, Roadstone Lead Operator, Shift Patroller, Shift Mechanical Craftsmen & Roadstone Operators
INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS Stone Management Team, Production Supervisor, Chemical Stone Lead Operators, Roadstone Lead Operators, Shift Patrollers, Shift Mechanical Craftsmen, Roadstone Operators, General Operatives, Assistant Quarry Manager, Quarry Team, Maintenance Team, Technical Coordinator & Sidings Team
EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS Cement Plant Management / Operational Teams, Lime Section Management / Operational Teams, Logistics Team, HSE Team, Customers
● Monitor all activities & challenge unsafe behaviour to drive a Safety first culture.
● Support the use Hazard Identification & Risk assessments throughout the operation by monitoring relevant control measures and appropriate use of STOP assessment & additional controls.
● SHE briefings & Toolbox talks to communicate relevant information to shift team members.
● Reg 12 Health & Safety inspections of the In-Pit, Roadstone & Chemical Stone plant areas.
● Minimise fuel / energy usage & other operational costs in line with SEC target.
● Manage, monitor & support the execution of the schedule to deliver specific shift outputs.
● Daily performance review meeting where KPI targets have not been met actions are identified to drive improvements.
● Stone Shift Log & OEE Infolens production and downtime losses data reporting.
● RCA’s for excessive operational outages or for any safety & environmental issues.
● Critical stocks in In-Pit, Chemical Stone & Roadstone operations.
● Slurry supply to Cement Plant thickeners ensuring sufficient volume of solids is readily available for processing in the Raw Mill at all times.
● Objective setting, mid-year and year-end reviews for all team members.
● Monitor & influence stockfield / rail loading accuracy.
● Control of overtime costs through optimisation of performance & utilisation of all manning resources on shift.
● Process & procedures comply with QA standard to ensure product is made to specification.
● Training requirements for team members to ensure competencies and compliance are maintained.
● Carry out Face2Face safety conversations recording any actions onto Safety-On-Line database and closing them out in a timely manner.
● Identify hazards and risk assess activities to the required standard and ensure appropriate control measures are implemented.
● Ensure safety standards and procedures are fully understood by all team members.
● Deliver SHE briefings & Toolbox talks to all team members in accordance with business requirements.
● Carry out Reg 12 inspections of all processing plants & report any defects using T-Card system.
● Achieve daily / shift operational KPI’s for schedule adherence, performance, quality, energy and loading accuracy.
● Facilitate daily performance review meeting & identify short term & long term actions where targets have not been met to drive improvements.
● Ensure all Lead operators record shift performance & downtime losses data on shift log / OEE infolens database to a high standard with the required detail.
● Initiate and facilitate in-depth RCA investigations for any excessive operational outages or safety / environmental issues.
● Monitor critical stocks for all processing operations and take appropriate actions to ensure customer demands are met.
● Develop team members through objective setting and provide feedback through regular 1-2-1 progress meetings to support individual & team development.
● Full line management responsibilities including absence management, performance management and any other associated duties.
● Support & identify potential for further career development.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS - Reasonable general level of education
- SHE QCF Level 4 (NVQ Level 3)
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS - Supervisory or First Line Managers programme
- Technical Member - Institute of Quarrying
- Working knowledge of crushing, screening & other quarry processes
- Knowledge & understanding of SHE standards and compliance.
- Knowledge of KPI’s & managing performance.
- Leading a team in an operational environment.
- Understanding of risk assessment & permit to work systems.
- Basic mechanical experience to promote efficient operation of processing plants.
- Trained as incident controller
- Problem solving / decision making
- Ability to work as a team
- Reliable and punctual
- Leadership & motivation of people
- Confident & persuasive communication & written skills
- SHE awareness
- Conflict management
- Numerate and literate
- Ability to manage at right level
If you feel you have the skills and experience required to excel in the role of Stone Shift Supervisor, we want to hear from you. Please click APPLY below to register your interest!
All applicants will be required to provide evidence that they have the right to live and work in the UK, as per the UK Illegal Working Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 at the interview stage.
No agencies please.
Tarmac is an equal opportunities employer.