Tarmac is the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction solutions business. Our innovative products and solutions not only deliver the infrastructure needed to grow the UK economy today but also help to create a more sustainable built environment for the country’s long-term future. We offer exciting, challenging careers that provide excellent development opportunities and an attractive remuneration and benefits package for the right calibre of person.
To assist the Production Manager in concrete operations, Operate batching plant and produce high volume concrete production. Ensure that the concrete meets all quality standards and comply with all current Legislation & Company SHE and Quality Systems
- Work in a safe manner to ensure the Health and Safety of yourself and others.
- Comply with and be actively involved in Tarmac Ltd’s SHE and Quality Policies and Procedures (E.g. EMS, etc.).
- Work effectively within deadlines.
- Actively promote zero tolerance, target zero
- Dispatch loads as per site system in operation.
- Ensure that the batch is within correct tolerances
- Ensure that the correct materials are used to produce concrete
- Check loads prior to leaving to ensure they meet required delivery standard
- Process any returned concrete following set procedures
- Complete all documentation as required by site
- Order material for the following days production and control incoming stocks
- Operate Mobile Plant according to site rules
- Maintain effective customer relationships, both internally and externally.
- Complete general housekeeping duties.
Outputs (results required)
- Delivery of business objectives
- Value and growth generation, secured
- Forward Workload, Margin Generation, Maintain price and Market Share, Business Results, Cash Flow.
- Success rate of tenders, future work bank/secured workload.
- Identify potential risks and opportunities within the contract and strategies to manage them.
- Effective management of the submissions process
- Value growth through increased use of sustainable materials.
- Value and growth generation, secured forward workload, margin generation, maintain price and market share.
- Safety standards compliance, Visible felt leadership.
- Engaged, motivated and competent employees
Nature and Area of Impact
- Be responsible and accountable for the delivery of the commercial and surveying objectives and business plan in line with business unit and national strategies.
- Operate entirely within the requirements of the Company’s Processes, Policies and Procedures
- Monitor the production of target costs on option c works and ensure compliance with contractual requirements
- Develop a full understanding of customer needs and structure commercial and surveying requirements around these obligations.
- Relevant concrete qualification (Batcherman 1, 2 & 3)
- Relevant Health & Safety Qualification
- NVQ Concrete Batching
Experience of a similar role or environment. At least 1 year’s supervisory experience in the Concrete Industry is desirable but not essential
Training Requirements – Essential
- Fire Training
- Manual Handling Training
- PPE Training
- COSHH Training
- 1 Day IOSH working safely
- Loading shovel licence
- Quality Awareness Training
- First Aid
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of SHE, QA, Product knowledge and Technical awareness.
- Knowledge of site specific SHE procedures and rules (including basic introduction of Health and Safety Policies and Procedures Manual)
- Knowledge of all relevant job related rules contained within the Health and Safety Policies and Procedures manual.
- Working knowledge of Concrete Production, plant and materials.
- Effective communication with both internal and external customers.
- Computer literate
- Contractual knowledge
- Analytical skills,
- Industry and market knowledge
Personal Attributes and Behaviours
- Strong Customer Focus - Build partnerships and use deep understanding of customer needs to implement ideas that deliver value
- Health & Safety - Adopting a conscientious attitude to working safely
- Teamwork - Build a positive team culture; build relationships with other teams across the business to share ideas, break down silos and maximise performance; must put the ‘company good’ before any individual ‘local gain’; must implement ideas to improve team dynamics and team spirit
- Drive - Have a relentless desire and hunger to improve and innovate. Encourage the wider business to improve performance
- Confidence - Demonstrate confidence with a wide range of colleagues, stakeholders and shareholders; maintain confidence and stay calm during difficult situations; make decisions that will be unpopular whilst explaining the rationale for these
- Continuous Improvement - Identify and create new and innovative ways of doing business and drive improvements
- Leadership - Create a positive team culture and demonstrate leadership and influence within and beyond your own team
- Developing People - Think ahead and take action to ensure team skills and capabilities meet future business needs; understand the aspiration and potential of the team and identify and develop potential
- Communication - Influences others, sell your own ideas by linking them to other people’s values, goals or ideas; willingly and confidently communicate issues and ideas to gain senior management support; sell the benefits behind decisions and changes
All applicants will be required to provide evidence that they have the right to live and work in the UK, as per the UK Illegal Working Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 at the interview stage. No agencies please. Tarmac is an equal opportunities employer.